AAT - General Meeting Feb 2015

logo.png

Sunday 22 February 2015, Great Lake Community Hall , MienaPrior to the General Meeting Jim Caulfield from MaST gave a presentation on the proposals for the boat ramp at Little Pine Lagoon. The consensus was that it should be dual lane fleximat, have carparking for 30 cars/trailers, finished surface level need not be above full supply level, a groyne to the SW, and provision for a pontoon when funds are available.Need for expanded carparking at Penstock Lagoon was also discussed.The presentation was much appreciated by all present.PresentGary France Chair, Terry Byard Vice Chair, Malcolm Crosse Exec Committee, Mike Stevens Exec Committee, Sheryl Thompson Chair Tas Anglers Hall of Fame, John Diggle IFS, Neil Morrow IFS , Stephen Hepworth IFS, Mark Asplin IFS, Paul Middleton IFS, John Broomby Northern Forum, John Smith Tas FT Club, Michael Caminada Independent North, Bruce Gilham Corralin FF and Casting Assoc, Alan Gordon BOD Sports Anglers, Charles Thompson NWFA, Bruce Heathcote NWFA, Adrian Hope Tas FF Assoc. Denis Edwards Exec OfficerApologiesPhil Williams, Roger ButlerMinutes of previous meetingMotion: “to accept the minutes of the meeting held 9 Nov 2014 at the Australian FlyFishing Museum, Evandale”Moved: C Thompson Seconded: J BroombyMatters arising>M Crosse advised that Hobart Radio will installing a VHF antennae on Barren Tier within the next 12 months.>Arthurs Lake camping caretaker’s phone No. to be posted on website.>M Crosse advised of illegal camping at Penstock Lagoon? Check with Hydro> J Broomby inquired if additional parking could be provided at Miles Forbes Bridge. Theconsensus was that this was not necessary out of the whitebait season, and N Morrow indicated that it would require the purchase of private land and therefor an expensive exercise.>M Stevens advised that the lifejacket awareness television initiative is progressing.>EPA to be invited to address a meeting as part of AAT water quality initiative.>Lake Lea access to be followed up.FinancialsAAT AccountsFinancial statement was tabled showingWestpac TRADING A/C 17-1550 $18,923.31 CRWestpac GRANT A/C 49-7934 $ 332.19 CR with $60,000 TCF grant for AnglersAccess due.Tasmanian Anglers Hall of Fame AccountMyState A/C 807-009 727 3178 $ 1,192.28 CRMotion: “that the financial statement be accepted”Moved: T Byard Seconded: C ThompsonInland Fisheries Service ReportJohn Diggle introduced the new IFS Fisheries Officers , Paul Middleton (Devonport Fisheries Officer) and Mark Asplin (Liawenee Fisheries Officer) before tabling a comprehensive report which can be viewed on both the IFS and the AAT websites.The report included the following –The Tasmanian Inland Recreational Fishery Management Plan will be reviewed in 2015/16Farm dam stocking for public fishingRedfin perch in the Mersey RiverHatchery lease to Huon AquacultureEstuary perch researchClean up Australia DayProposed Sandbanks Creek spawning trapPioneer Mine Hole being legislated as a water open year roundPenstock Lagoon water level monitoringFour Springs performance assessmentLake Echo eel fishingFisheries Habitat Improvement FundPlanned River SurveysAnglers AccessLicencing and AdministrationShannon Lagoon updateSouthern FisheryCompliance reportHatchery and Stocking reportReport on IFS Carp Management ProgramClean Up Australia Day IFS will again be participating in the program on Tues 4 Feb. along the Derwent River to complement the Anglers Access project. John Diggle urged all clubs that have clean up programs to register next year with Clean Up Australia so their efforts can be recognised. AAT Exec to look at ways of maximising media cover .Penstock Lagoon John Diggle reported that Hydro did not see the Penstock dam wall leak as an issue to be concerned about. IFS requested that Hydro repair the water level monitoring equipment on Penstock and the levels be recorded on their website. AAT to write to Hydro to reinforce this request.Whitebait Poaching J Broomby has had reports of poaching in the NW . Stephen Hepworth said unfortunately the IFS has not received complaints and needs illegal activity to be reported so action can be taken. The phone numbers are on the IFS website and will be posted on the AAT website.WebcamsMalcolm Crosse reported that the failure of the Arthurs camera is due to strong radio signal interference and efforts are being made to locate the source. Even at the best of times the signal is marginal and Malcolm suggested that an alternate site with a stronger signal be investigated.Sponsorship – Emails to/from Eric Hutchinson MP and Telstra Country Wide were tabled and we are hopeful that Telstra will become a major sponsor enabling vastly improved webcam performance with increased data allowance.Trout Territory guiding have taken up the sponsorship of the Great Lake webcam.Sponsorship offer letters to be sent out to likely sponsors for remaining unsponsored cameras.Junior AnglersT Byard reported that this IFAC initiative was progressing and that possible waters are Frombergs Dam at Ulverstone, Taylors Dam at Latrobe, Waverley Lake at Launceston,and in the south Bushy Park and a water in the Huon area.IFS will look at fish availability in order to establish a possible date and all clubs should be informed before they establish their yearly calendar.Discussion raised the possible need for police checks and/or the need for juniors to be accompanied by parents; the possible use of Fish Care volunteers; possible charges for some venues and the importance of advertising and marketing.It was suggested that the proposal be documented for the IFAC meeting on the 6 March 2015 and circulated to clubs involved.Anglers Hall of FameS Thompson reported that there would be three inductions on the Liawenee Open Weekendwith a possible undercover venue being the Great Lake Community Hall.T Byard suggested that the Exec Committee look at and document the HOF process and criteria for selecting inductees/sponsors , and that funding be addressed and a budget established.Great Lake weed eradication working beeT Byard reported that the working bee for the weekend 14/15 Feb was cancelled due to a forecast of rain and will now take place on Sat/Sun 28 Feb/1 March 2015.TGALT Photo CompetitionLetter tabled from TGALT requesting a $500 donation to help defray costs.M Crosse moved that this be done, seconded M Stevens.Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area Draft Management PlanThis is now out for public comment and submissions close on 22 March2015. For copies of the draft phone the DPIPWE on 6165 3065.Public information sessions will be held at –Hobart, 3 March, Bahai Centre of LearningLaunceston, 5 March, Tamar Valley Centre, Albert HallDeloraine, 6 March, Meander Valley Enterprise CentreAAT will respond to the draft and any comments members want included in this should be emailed to AAT by 15 March 2015.A discussion highlighted a number of concerns including the use of and number of commercial aircraft and helicopter flights; motorised boating changes; netting on Macquarie Harbour etc. The Exec Committee will draft a response.Correspondence Little Pine Boat Ramp the issues raised by Julian Newton- Brown were addressed by Jim Caulfield (MaST) prior to the meeting.St Clair Boat Ramp As the Southern Highlands Progress Association has lodged RBF request to MaST it was felt that no action is necessary.State of Fishing NW of Penguin J Diggle said that the IFS need reports on specific instances of the matters of concern before they can comment or take any action.Jonah Bay jetty. This is being replaced.Forico Derogation. AAT’s stakeholder response to the proposed use of the highly toxic alpha-cypermethrin insecticide was tabled.Josh Flowers letter and flyer for his final fundraising event for the 2015 World Fly Fishing Championships in Bosnia this June was tabled. It will be a social cricket match, everyone invited to play, BBQ etc at the Meander Cricket Ground on Sat 21 March 2015 . BE THERE !Aust Fly Fishing Museum Weekend. Flyer tabled for the visit of casting guru Simon Gawesworth on Frid/ Sat 13/14 March 2015.TGALT Photo Competition. Flyer tabled , details www.150yrsoftastrout.com.au. Competition closes 31March2015.NEXT MEETING is at 10am Sun May 3, 2015 at Man O’Ross Hotel, RossACTION LISTExec. Clean Up Australia media coverTWWHA submissionHOF inductee criteria, funding and budgetArthurs webcamTB Contact Hydro on illegal camping at Penstock LagoonTB/GF Junior Angler report to IFS for 6 March meetingDE Post Arthurs campsite caretakers No. on websitePost IFS Illegal Fishing hotline No. on websiteInvite EPA speak at AAT meetingFollow up Lake Lea boat accessContact Hydro to repair Penstock water level monitoring equipmentState of NW fishing , reply to email

Minutes, Newssshelley_admin